John Hillas (1768-1837) arrived in Australia in 1801 and received two land grants on the Windsor Road. One of these he named 'Stanhope Farm', and established an inn, the "Stanhope Arms". Part of the name remained, with the Peel family calling their dairy farm "Stanhope Park". The suburb name reflects these early properties. It was formally recognised as a suburb in 1996.